Ecodesign+ is a software meant for early design stages and assists engineering designers to proceed with an environmental evaluation of their products. Additionally, the software allows benchmarking the environmental profile of the product with similar products.
Product data can be imported from CAD models, e.g. data regarding material constitution of a certain part. The algorithms and methods used in this software are based on my research I had conducted through my PhD and thorugh cooperations with the Universidad Politecnica de Valencia in Spain. I was responsible for the technical management of the beta-version. Meanwhile, the software is availabe to the public.
The project was funded by The Technology Agency of the City of Vienna (ZIT).
You can read more about the theories behind the software in the following papers:
- Ostad-Ahmad-Ghorabi, H. Parametric Ecodesign – Parametric Ecodesign – Development of a Framework for the Integration of Life Cycle Assessment into Computer Aided Design. Suedwestdeutscher Verlag fuer Hochschulschriften, 2010, ISBN: 978-964-2940-29-5.
- Collado-Ruiz, D., Ostad-Ahmad-Ghorabi, H. Comparing LCA Results out of Competing Products – Developing Reference Ranges from a Product Family Approach. Journal of Cleaner Production 2010, 18 (4): 355-364.
- Collado‐Ruiz, D., Ostad‐Ahmad‐Ghorabi, H. Fuon Theory: Standardizing Functional Units for Product Design. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 2010, 54: 683‐691.
- Collado-Ruiz, D., Ostad Ahmad Ghorabi, H. LCA within design: not a matter of “just doing it”. In: XIV International Congress on Project Engineeering, 2010, Paper-Nr. 08-024, 10 pages, ISBN: 978-84-614-2607-2.
- Ostad-Ahmad-Ghorabi, H., Collado-Ruiz, D., Wimmer, W. Towards Integrating LCA into CAD. In: Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Engineering Design, Norell, M., Grimheden, M., Skogstad, P. (editors), 2009 (7): 301-310, ISBN 978-190-4670-11-7.
- Website of ZIT (external link)